Couples

Relationships can be one of the most fulfilling aspects of our lives, but they can also be the most stressful. We are always involved in relationships in one form or another, so developing effective relationship skills is extremely important. These relationship skills allow us to fulfill our need to belong. Relationships are complex, with multi-dimensional needs and demands that constantly require attention and flexibility.

Issues to address in order to improve relationships include:

  • Communication skills
  • Developing shared purpose, meaning and values
  • Increasing one’s understanding of both stated and unstated expectations
  • Building trust & emotional intimacy
  • Minimizing the negative impact of disappointment and anger
  • Being your best person in order to develop your best relationship

John Gottman, Ph.D., a marital researcher from the University of Washington, states that 33% of problems in relationships are solvable and the other 67% are perpetual unsolvable issues. Developing skills and strategies to deal with this 67% is vital to enhance relationships.